EXA performance ( XCOMPOSITE and XRENDER ) performance regression from xorg 7.0 to 7.1 ( r200 )

Daniel Kasak dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 1 17:09:48 PDT 2006

Hi all.

I've done some testing of xorg 7.0 and 7.1 on a Radeon 9250
( r200 ). I had been running 7.0 for quite a while, and using EXA to
accelerate compositing. This was working pretty well, apart from the
known problems when you open too many windows ( grinds to a halt ).

After updating to 7.1, compositing seems to have gotten considerably
slower. I run an Enlightenment-0.17 desktop, and I manually run xcompmgr
in a terminal, and then manually run transset from another terminal to
set window transparency.

The first thing I noticed was that there is a LONG period of high CPU
usage immediately after running transset and clicking a window. This
used to be instantaneous. But also the general performance seems to be
noticably slower than under 7.0 ( still good, but slower than it was ).
Switching desktops also used to be lightning fast. Now it can take 10
seconds. EXA is working, though. Once things settle down, I can drag
around transparent windows quite smoothly, but setting transparency and
switching desktops is very slow.

Switching Enlightenment-0.17 to use the XRENDER engine also shows that
XRENDER performance has degraded since 7.0 - my CPU usage has increased
by about 10% while rendering a number of animated backgrounds.

I'm attaching my xorg log ( there's nothing out of the ordinary I can
see ) and xorg.conf.

Is this performance regression a known issue? Maybe something specific
to my setup?

Dan