Via Unichrome DRI and Asus K8V-MX K8M800 troublesome

Dennis Heuer dh at triple-media.com
Thu Jan 26 08:36:14 PST 2006

Please help me because I feel the tumor growing realtime when sitting
before my computer screen...

I am a bit confused about all the projects. I first posted to dri.sf but
somebody wrote to me that I might be right at openchrome.org. They were
helpful in parts. However, they just provide to your source, right?

I've dropped my old K7-cartridge Shuttle-Board, including a Riva TNT2,
for the Asus K8V-MX (with K8M800) and a Sempron 2800+. Everything went
fine so far. The old system (32b linux 2.6.15) started without trouble.
However, videos looked scratched and sound looped. The logfiles (dmesg
and Xorg.log) showed no errors.

Sound was related to the broken IRQs of the K8M800. But the stripes on
the TV-pic (Xine DVB-T with a TwinHan VisionDTV PCI-Ter (VisionPlus),
Nxt6000-compatible), appearing/disappearing and moving up/down at the
right edge (though not in fullscreen or in widescreen mode, for
whatever reasons) are still a riddle to me.

The most crucial problem is that the screen looks "active" (very fast
window-shaking in a range of, say, two pixels, and there is very fine,
coloured snow-crash all over the screen). The default b/w X-background
shows a moire-pattern that is looking like a weave (horizontal stripes
change route and cross neighbours before changing route again to go
straight down again). I tried other resolutions and even calculated own
modlines without success. I tried a new xorg.conf script (generated with
Xorg -configure, which included the DRI module two times: before and
after the dbe module). I excluded the DRI module, but nothing changed.
So I tried the vesa driver, which shows the same effect. Probably, the
problem is related to my Novita B17DL Multisync Monitor (17", 0.26mm,
H30-96, V47-160, R1600x1200, C157.8MHz, D306mmx230mm).

I appended the Xorg.0.log for more insights

Please write what further information you need.

Regards
Dennis Heuer