having Virtual be smaller than Mode size?

Jason Pepas cell at ices.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 26 09:05:25 PST 2006

Hi,

It would be nice to be able to do this:

SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1280x1024"
    Virtual 1024 768
EndSubSection

Basically, I want to run an LCD screen a lower than native resolution, but
rather than having the LCD screen scale the image up to full screen size and
have a nasty, fuzzy look, I would rather just use less of the screen real
estate with black bars around the edges, and maintain the razor sharp look of
the native resolution.

Why is this useful?  I have a box which is infrequently accessed locally but
is often accessed remotely through VNC.

Would this be as simple as removing an "if" statement which prevents Virtual
from being smaller than the current Mode, and possibly adding some offsets to
center the screen?

-jason pepas