xshape+xcomposite

chinlu chinawa chinluchinawa at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 16:19:29 PST 2006

Hi guys,

>From Amir:

>In LG3D we use the Composite extension only to
capture the image of the
>window and turn its content to a Texture. Normal
windows are rectangular
>shape thus their geometry are simple. For Shaped
Window I use Xfixes to
>retrieve their shape as Regions and convert this to a
geometry and this
>later is used to build the 3D object for the window.

Looking at the XComposite protocol, looks like you're
using CreateRegionFromBorderClip, and having a look to
Xfixes -wich I haven't had read anything about
before-, looks like you're using
CreateRegionFromWindow.

But once again, I cannot test any of that till I've
ahieved to extract a 1bit image from the original one
(I'm quite close already).

I've tried today to use Xfixes, which would make my
life much easier, and could even help me with this,
seeing it done from another perspective, but it looks
like fuctions like CreateRegionFromPicture, and
CreateRegionFromGC are not yet implemented, although I
can see some related source code within my
distribution sources.

>I think also that what I describe above will not help
you with what you
>want to do, but if you have any questions, don't
hastitate to cantact me.

Yes of course it does. Haven't tried, but looking at
xcompmgr sources, plus what you've said, it looks like
giving to my window a shaped-shadow is not going to be
an impossible task for me, or at least not one
difficult enough for not even trying. The key is in
the pixmap, for sure.

Thanks very much, I'll contact you of finding
something I cannot get through in regards of this.

>From Deron:

>Sorry, I should have been more specific. The code
Amir wrote for dealing
>with shaped windows in LG is Java code in the
lg3d-core CVS

Deron It was my fault, Im sorry. I've been browsing
your project's website a bit further, and is clearly
stated that you've got to register to (at least)
download the lg3d, on the getting-started web page.

Thanks very much for pointing me directly to related
files, been looking at them, althought there's not too
much I can understand. However they've been very
useful, overall to check that your xfixes
implementation support more or less the same functions
my xserver does (cose I thought I was doing something
wrong since some of those functions worked, but no
others).

Thanks very much for you attention.

Kind Regards,