855GM not changing resolutions for games (SOLVED)

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 13:51:55 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 22:10 -0600, Wayne Smith wrote:
> On Saturday 21 January 2006 4:52 pm, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > > Okay, maybe it was because I tried so many different things yesterday,
> > > but I passed the option "NoDDC" today, and it eliminates the error.
> > > However, it still uses a range that I do NOT specifiy, the one that it
> > > used when it kicked the error, 45.71-50.33.  It then says that it will
> > > only use the "built-in" modes of 1280x800 and 1024x768.  The video bios
> > > still shows the other, desired modes when using 855resolution and 915
> > > resolution.
> > >
> > > Now the odd thing is that when I use 6.8.2, the HorizSync gets set to the
> > > range I specify (30-50), and then kicks 1280x800 out because it doesn't
> > > fall into that range.  When I run 6.8.2 w/o specifying the HorizSync,
> > > then it says it's using the "default" range of 28-33, and includes all
> > > desired modes (1280x800, 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480).
> > >
> > > I think the real issue is why my HorizSync does not seem to be honored in
> > > 6.9 like it is in 6.8.2, and why Xorg is defaulting to the much higher
> > > hsync range in 6.9.
> > >
> > > xorg.conf:  http://staff.norman.k12.ok.us/~wsmith/xorg.conf
> > >
> > > xorg log:  http://staff.norman.k12.ok.us/~wsmith/Xorg.0.log
> >
> > Can you just try switching the Driver from i810 to vesa and see if the
> > same problem happens ?
> >
> > Alan.
>
> The problem has been solved.  I can now get the HorizSync range passed to
> Xorg, but only if I also give a VertRefresh range in xorg.conf.  Once this is
> done, I don't need modelines, or even modes.  I also don't need to pass
> NoDDC, either.  GL is good, all resolutions are used, all problems seem
> solved.
>
> The big question in my feeble mind was why this behavior changed between 6.8.2
> and 6.9.  I use a pretty minimal xorg.conf, actually based off one of the
> configuration tools (xorgsetup).  Anyway, it seems odd to me that I would not
> have to specify VertRefresh in one release, but have to in the next,
> especially when it's not produced in the automatic setup tool.  Maybe this
> should be looked into, or put into the docs, like i810's man file?  I don't
> know, just thinking aloud...
>
> Anyway, thanks to all for all the help.  If anyone has any questions for me,
> or an explanation, then let me know.  Otherwise, I consider it blessedly
> over.  :)

Can you log this as a bug ?

Include logs & configs from when you have the following...

1. No HorizSync & No VertRefresh & No modelines specified
2. HorizSync & No VertRefresh & No modelines specified
3. No HorizSync & No VertRefresh & modelines specified
4. HorizSync & VertRefresh & no modelines specified

Thanks,

Alan.