Xorg problem: What happened to XRaiseWindow?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sat Jan 21 02:12:39 PST 2006

Dne sobota 21 leden 2006 04:28 Ernest L. Williams Jr. napsal(a):
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 17:26 +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >
> > > Same happens in RedHat Enterprise Linux 4
> > >
> > > What is going on?
> >
> >  It's called "focus stealing prevention", see e.g.
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2003-May/msg00013.html . A
> > short description is that only the user (i.e. taskbar etc.) and the most
> > recently activated application are allowed to raise or focus windows,
> > requests from inactive applications are not honoured. As already said
> > above, applications are usually not supposed to do that anyway.
>
> This is not good.

 Oh, it actually is good and people generally like it (or rather, they quite
don't like it when random background apps suddenly interrupt whatever they're
doing).

> We are developing GUI apps used for control systems
> and have to be able to tell alarms to pop to the foreground.
>
> Apparently, KDE highlights and blinks the widget in the taskbar, hmmm?

 That's the default, but in KDE3.5 it's possible to use e.g. passive popup or
whatever KNotify supports ("kcmshell kcmnotify" and select window manager in
the combo).

> Once again, we need the window manager to honor the requested behaviour
> as it did under RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.  Is there a way to configure
> the window manager to honor the XRaiseWindow request?

 Turn it off globally in Alt+F3/Configure/Advanced or just specifically for
the app in Alt+F3/Advanced/Special settings/Workarounds (force to none).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org