Xorg problem: What happened to XRaiseWindow?

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Fri Jan 20 19:28:37 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 17:26 +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2006 14:57, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> > > Isn't the raising of windows a task of the window manager, and not of
> > > the program ?
> >
> > Yes, but the way you tell the window manager that you would like to
> > raise the window is via XRaiseWindow, right?
> >
> > Now, notice if one were to access the covered window via the taskbar of
> > KDE for example it does come to the foreground.
> >
> > So, my question is have the window managers decided to not honor the
> > standard XRaiseWindow request?
> >
> > > In FC5 it seems the window manager does not "raise" windows over windows
> > > that have the focus.
> >
> > Same happens in RedHat Enterprise Linux 4
> >
> > What is going on?
>
>  It's called "focus stealing prevention", see e.g.
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2003-May/msg00013.html . A short
> description is that only the user (i.e. taskbar etc.) and the most recently
> activated application are allowed to raise or focus windows, requests from
> inactive applications are not honoured. As already said above, applications
> are usually not supposed to do that anyway.

This is not good. We are developing GUI apps used for control systems
and have to be able to tell alarms to pop to the foreground.

Apparently, KDE highlights and blinks the widget in the taskbar, hmmm?
Once again, we need the window manager to honor the requested behaviour
as it did under RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.  Is there a way to configure
the window manager to honor the XRaiseWindow request?

Thanks,
Ernest