xshape/xcomposite development question

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jan 13 04:10:53 PST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 02:14:12 +0000 (GMT), chinlu chinawa wrote:
> As far as I understood, (apart from setting up the
> server properly) I would only need to put xcompmgr to
> run, and then magically, my window's borders would
> look like keith's screenshots located in here:
>
> http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/screenshots/sharp_shadow.png
>
> Now I start thinking on whether I really needed to
> migrate, I mean, maybe this is done through Xrender?,
> can anyone point me on right direction?

At a minimum, getting things like this running does require:

1. An X server that supports the Composite extension

2. A compositing manager running to blend the windows (which may be
   part of the window manager)

3. A window manager that provides proper support for windows with ARGB
   visuals.

4. An application that achieves the desired effect by selecting an
   ARGB visual and rendering the desired shape into the alpha channel.

Have fun!

-Carl