problem with overlay (XVideo) on ATI Rage Pro (mach64)

Ville Syrjälä syrjala at sci.fi
Wed Jan 11 02:33:04 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 05:05:42PM +0300, Alexander Polyakov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have following problem: video playback through XVideo on AIW Pro  works only
> when X-resolution of video does not exceed 720 pixels, otherwise all I see is
> rectangle filled with key color.
>
> My setup: Mandriva Linux 2006.0, Xorg 6.9 cvs20050915, All-in-Wonder Pro
> (mach64, 8 MB of memory).
>
> There was no such problem in Mandrake Linux 10.0 (XFree 4.3.0) on the same
> hardware, so I decided to look at the sources (Xorg 6.9.0 final). It turned
> out 720 is hardcoded several times in atimach64xv.c and one time in
> atiscreen.c.
>
> I didn't want to compile everything from scratch, so I patched atimisc_drv.so
> (replaced 720*480 with 768*576 and 720 with 768; 768 is the max. resolution I
> need). And now it works.
>
> However, I'm curious to know why this restriction (720 max.) was imposed
> (bug/feature)?

The max horizontal resolution depends on the chip type. It's 384 for
VT/GT rev A, 768 for Rage Pro/LT Pro and 720 for all other chip types.
The specs don't state the limits very clearly but I have verified those
limits on numerous chips while writing the DirectFB driver.

It looks like the Xv driver has wrong vertical resolution limit as well.
The hardware limit is 1024 but the driver allows resolutions up to 2048.

--
Ville Syrjälä
syrjala at sci.fi
http://www.sci.fi/~syrjala/