Finishing Composite to handle transformed windows

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Jan 6 21:31:08 PST 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:06:33 +1100 Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> babbled:

> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 16:30 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Keith Packard wrote On 01/06/06 14:24,:
> >
> > > If we're really going to support this in earnest, I suggest that all of
> > > the usual configuration functions should work as if there were two
> > > separate stacks of windows, the 'normal' and the 'topmost', so you
> > > should be able to raise or lower topmost windows within the topmost set
> > > using the normal set of operations. When a window is moved from 'normal'
> > > to 'topmost', it should be placed at the bottom (?) of the topmost set.
> > > Similarly, when moved from topmost to normal, it should appear on the
> > > top of the normal windows.
> >
> > Yes. The concept of a "topmost window stack" seems more general and it
> > defines reasonable semantics for multiple top-most windows.
>
> Why not arbitrary windows stacks then (with a depth) ? It would make
> things easier for a whole lot of things like:
>
>  - Those various "desklets" implementations that have been floating
> around which are basically about putting widgets in the root window.
> Those could become normal windows at a higher depth

thwe wm can handle this via window properties hinting at stacking layer - like
is done now with netwm. they exist in the topmost stack for rendering purposes,
but a compositing manager/wm can handle the rest however it sees fit.