Alt Ctl Fn not working wirh x.org 6.9 ?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 3 13:20:39 PST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:39:38 +0100, Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:

> Rod Butcher [2006-01-03 21:51]:
> > I've upgraded from 6.8.2 to 6.9 (Linux kernel 2.6.13) by compiling the source,
> > and now I can't switch between ttys under X by using Alt Ctl Fn.

I've got the same problem on my laptop here.

> Missing KBD data files can cause this. Check the log file for KBD
> errors/warnings.

I don't see any errors/warnings in my log file.

I recently let Daniel Stone look at my laptop and he was able to make
some magic incantations to get things working after the X server
started, (I don't recall know what those incantations were). But in
the short time he had, he did not succeed in making a persistent fix,
and he was somewhat stumped.

My installation is to /opt/xorg so I'm assuming that there's some xkbd
data files that didn't get installed there for some reason. (This
feels like a similar problem to some "missing" application defaults
that I had to copy from /usr/X11R6 in order to get things like xmag to
start functioning again).

-Carl