Proposal for integrating Looking Glass Xorg Mods into Xorg Release 7.1

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 3 13:18:05 PST 2006

> Sounds about right, though I agree with Christoph that adding more
> #ifdefs will just cause trouble in the long run (there are already far
> too many to begin with--we should be removing them, not adding them).

I will leave it up the Xorg architectural group and the community to
decide whether the ifdefs are appropriate or not. I can appreciate
the arguments on both sides. I personally favor retaining the ifdefs,
but I don't have a strong opinion either way. But I did find the ifdefs
to for XKB and XINPUT to be extremely helpful in deciphering the X event
code.

> Maybe you can post some of the interface changes to the list for review?

The interface changes are described in the documentation in the wiki:
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/LookingGlassIntegration, specifically
the links "Proposed Modifications" and "Looking Glass Extension Protocol
Specification."

> Based on the web page you posted, it sounds like many of the bug fixes
> should just go in directly, along with the bulk of the extension.

I just had a converstation with Keith Packard and he suggested some ways
I can change things to reduce the number of bug fixes. If this works out
then half of the changes described in "Proposed Modifications" will go
away. I will investigate these ideas before I integrate.

> If
> possible, the event layer stuff can be abstracted out a bit so that the
> resulting code is at least somewhat maintainable, maybe you have ideas
> for some cleanups that should be done to make that easier/doable?

Keith has suggested some ways for reducing some of the ifdefs for the
input changes. He is going to be experimenting with these changes this
month.