Latest Xgl code

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 14:50:13 PST 2006

On 1/3/06, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 17:28 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 11:17:39AM +0100, David Reveman wrote:
> > > I'd like to get this code into freedesktop CVS asap. I suggest that we
> > > put it in a xgl module for now as I'm guessing that it'll take some time
> > > before everything can be merged into Xorg and I don't want to spend any
> > > time merging the code back into the kdrive tree.
> >
> > This sounds rather horrible.  Dave and Eric have done some nice work in
> > the public, so you as the person who refused to work in the public
> > should merged into that, after approval of the other developers.
>
> As far as I can tell it seams that they've pretty much only done work on
> the egl specific code which I haven't worked on so that's going to be
> really easy to merge. Other than simple updates for tracking the changes
> I've made to glitz most of the code that have gone into CVS recently is
> just code from one of my old snapshots that I put in public_html on
> freedesktop.org a long time ago.
>
> If there's something else than the egl specific code in the CVS tree
> that's working better than my latest code, then I'm all for doing the
> work to get that merged but my understanding is that this isn't the
> case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The main reason I'd like to merge your current tree back into kdrive
tree is for two reasons
1) we've got too many trees already,
2) merging into trees gives us a better idea when changes bust
something badly, I've already re-written the configure.ac to still
allow kdrive to be useful...

I'm quite willing to import this code drop into the kdrive CVS, the
biggest blocker into getting it working in Xorg CVS will be the GLX
changes, I'm not sure how these are going to impact the Xorg server
and I get a feeling we will need to do put some thought into the best
way to get this working across the supported platforms....

I'll handle the merging back over the next few evenings if everyone
agrees, the biggest thing that we can do is try to avoid any more code
drops from this one, and try to get patches since this baseline for
future submissions, doing tree diffs between CVS and these trees is
quite messy (parallel changes in kdrive fb code...)

Dave.