Installing Xorg

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Wed Feb 22 08:58:16 PST 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2006, 07:54 +0000 schrieb Daniel Stone:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 06:47:18PM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
> > Daniel Stone wrote:

> > >Dude, the manual is a wiki.
> >
> > So? It should have all the details if it is the main manual.
>
> Implicit in the word 'wiki' was, 'go fix it if it's apparently broken'.

> > >It should be blindingly obvious that you forgot to attach the
> > >alternative script to this mail.
> >
> > It hasn't completed a build yet without failing, because building into
> > a temporary staging area means the header and library locations need
> > to be exported to all sub-builds.
>
> I ... see.

> > >It doesn't, unless you ask it to use sudo.
> >
> > The script will blindly fail mid-way somewhere at the first install
> > if sudo option isn't given and the location is outside the users home.
>
> Well, yes.  Unless you're expecting the script to somehow circumvent
> UNIX permissions?

> > >It should be blindingly obvious that you forgot to attach the top-level
> > >./configure script to this mail.
> >
> > It's not the first thing i'd think of doing, expecting the current scripts
> > should have been adequate for basic developer settings.
>
> Well, they seem to have worked for developers so far, except yourself.

<rant>
Even though i have not been whining, I find the modular build process
rather painful. You may have noticed that the number of active
developers is rather small too. FWIW, whenever I tried the modular build
it was broken and needed a fix somewhere. What I'm waiting for is for
the modular Xorg to hit major distributions so that people can build
individual modules without building everything else. Until that time
modular Xorg is just a PITA for anyone willing to help with Xorg
development with limited time at their hands.
</rant>

Russell, the problems you're facing are part of the "design" of the
modular Xorg. Every module is built against stuff that needs to be
already installed on your system. Each configure script checks for
installed Xorg modules that it depends on. There is currently no way (I
know of) to build a module without first building and installing the
modules it depends on.  AFAICT simply removing "make install" from
build.sh will probably fail for that reason.

Using the prefix parameter for build.sh and the DESTDIR environment
variable are the options available to you for installing stuff in
non-standard staging locations. Hope this helps.

Regards,
  Felix

> I guess you have three options:
>   a) whine endlessly on-list,
>   b) come up with something constructive (i.e. a patch),
>   c) neither?
>
> Obviously I can't force your hand, but I think you can guess which of
> the above options I would recommend.

| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |