Installing Xorg

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue Feb 21 23:54:14 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 06:47:18PM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >>
> >>It would be obvious if the manual said that was the way to do it.
> >
> >Dude, the manual is a wiki.
>
> So? It should have all the details if it is the main manual.

Implicit in the word 'wiki' was, 'go fix it if it's apparently broken'.

> >>It should have been blindingly obvious that a build script is useless
> >>if it doesn't have simple options for development.
> >
> >It should be blindingly obvious that you forgot to attach the
> >alternative script to this mail.
>
> It hasn't completed a build yet without failing, because building into
> a temporary staging area means the header and library locations need
> to be exported to all sub-builds.

I ... see.

> >>The script shouldn't unconditionally sudo-install stuff, so a few other
> >>things need changing.
> >
> >It doesn't, unless you ask it to use sudo.
>
> The script will blindly fail mid-way somewhere at the first install
> if sudo option isn't given and the location is outside the users home.

Well, yes.  Unless you're expecting the script to somehow circumvent
UNIX permissions?

> >>Why couldn't there be a top-level ./configure script like all other
> >>multi-configure projects?
> >
> >It should be blindingly obvious that you forgot to attach the top-level
> >./configure script to this mail.
>
> It's not the first thing i'd think of doing, expecting the current scripts
> should have been adequate for basic developer settings.

Well, they seem to have worked for developers so far, except yourself.
I guess you have three options:
  a) whine endlessly on-list,
  b) come up with something constructive (i.e. a patch),
  c) neither?

Obviously I can't force your hand, but I think you can guess which of
the above options I would recommend.