1680x1050 on i830 -> mode disappears\

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu Feb 9 00:02:05 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:35:17PM -0800, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> I'm attempting to get a "Dell 2005FPW" 1680x1050 flat panel to work on
> the VGA connector of a Thinkpad X40 with i830 chipset.  I'm running
> Ubuntu with
>
> ii  xorg-common    6.8.2-10.1     X Window System (X.Org) infrastructure
> ii  xserver-xorg   6.8.2-10.1     the X.Org X server
>
> The complete xorg.conf and Xorg.1.log are at
> http://web.hexapodia.org/~adi/bobble/, but I've included the relevant
> bits below.
>
> I've added a relevant ModeLine to my xorg.conf, and have the Device and
> Screen sections configured:
>
> [...]
>
> but as far as I can tell, the i830 driver simply ignores the ModeLine.
> In Xorg.1.log I see
>
> [...]
>
> Note that the server doesn't print any reason for discarding the
> 1680x1050 mode - it just seems to ignore it completely.  The same thing
> happens with other modes - I added a trivial 800x600 ModeLine and it
> is also ignored.

Correct.

> I hacked my i830_driver.c to print out the list of modes in
> pScrn->modePool and it looks like the modes from pScrn->monitor->Modes
> are never added to the pool (it appears to fill the pool with a list of
> modes derived from the system BIOS),

Bingo!

The i810 (for i810 through i945 inclusive) can only set modes through
the video BIOS, so you won't get any mode that the BIOS doesn't know
about.  There are a number of tools that basically rewrite your BIOS's
mode table to get around this, including 830resolution or whatever it's
called, and the new module from Alan Hourihane at
http://fairlite.demon.co.uk/intel.html (IIRC).