i810/modesetting and Xinerama?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Dec 20 14:33:32 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 21:03 +0100, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
>
> >> How can I do that? And how can I configure 16 bpp?
> >
> > Here's what I've got; the 'Virtual' keyword sets the frame buffer size.
> > As the driver currently ignores the Modes keyword, I don't bother with
> > that one...
>
> Thanks to your help, I managed to get it working. This is the first time
> I have a multi-monitor-setup running under Linux with the correct
> parameters (refresh rate) - thank you very much! Btw. I need not
> restrict to 16 bpp, 24 bpp seems to work well.

Yup, I was under the mistaken impression that we could drive 16bpp
screens at larger than 2048x2048. Parts of the hardware are capable of
that, but other parts are not. Frustrating. Fixed in the 965 chipset,
but that's only available in desktop machines at present.

> What is left is being able to define a primary display. Currently, Gnome
> panels are stuck to the external display and they won't drag'n'drop to
> the internal LCD.

That's caused by the Xinerama extension that Gnome uses to place panels.
It always puts the panel on Xinerama screen '0', independent of the
actual location of that screen.

Right now, RandR has a fixed mapping from crtc to Xinerama screen, but
that can be fixed. I may change the default so that it maps from left to
right; at least that would be easier to understand than in 'crtc order',
which is completely arbitrary (and which always, on Intel hardware,
makes the laptop panel screen 1).

Of course, we should just make it user-settable. I've got an idea that
might work reasonably well using RandR output properties.

keith.packard at intel.com