1) Clarification Xorg Server Versioning wanted 2) Mesa reference problems in xorg-server-1.1.99.903 but not in 1.2.99.0

Joshua Baergen joshuabaergen at gentoo.org
Sat Dec 16 08:19:00 PST 2006

Tobias Gerschner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking at http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=tags I
> see 1.2.99 in the middle of 1.1.99 tags . Is that intentional or is it
> a typo ?

No, this is a snapshot of HEAD with the input hotplug stuff merged in.
It was released because input hotplug was considered to be in a usable
state and there was no reason to keep it from the public.

> The reason I ask : I was not able to compile xorg-server-1.1.99.903
> (tagged 12 days ago) as part of xorg 7.2 rc3 against Mesa 6.5.2. I
> always end up with bad / wrong mesa references in hw/vfb . But I can
> compile xorg-server 1.2.99.0 which got tagged 6 weeks in the past.
>
> At the moment I don't know the reason for this failure.

Yes, if you browse through the list history over the last week or two
you'll see a patch that allows you to build the 1.2 snapshots against
Mesa 6.5.2[1].  I'm not sure if this patch has been included in the git
yet - if it has, I haven't seen it, and I don't feel like looking
through the commit history.  Hanno or Daniel probably know.

> I don't know which code is actually more up-to-date (Is there any wiki
> page to fill me in about those details ? Is there a commit / branching
> scheme you follow ? Found none so far and I really visit your wiki
> often. )

The 1.2 server will be for the 7.2 release, while the 1.2.99* servers
represent snapshots of the future 1.3 server.  I don't think there's a
Wiki page that lists all of this nicely (perhaps you want to make one? :) ).

> Any help appreciated.
>
> regards

Hope this makes things clearer for you.

Josh