AM_PRETTY_CMDS and unofficial macros? (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] libXmu 1.0.3)

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Sat Dec 9 07:31:20 PST 2006

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I emailed the fix upstream to
> http://kim.tensta.gannert.se/projects/pretty-am/
>
> As far as I can find, I don't see this macro included with xorg nor with
> official release of automake-1.9.6.
>
> Which makes me wonder ... should official xorg releases be using
> unofficial macros?

Only if there were some propietary license which prohibits it.

The license claims it's free software, which can be modified,
distributed with modifications, etc.

auto{make|conf} maintainers have _repeatedly_ refused to consider any
such patch.

So unless someone happens to convince them that it's in their interest to
address the needs of other developers who do not agree with their opinion,
there's no other choice than to maintain separate patches.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net