Xvideo performance on Radeon 7500 vs Intel 915

Roland Scheidegger sroland at tungstengraphics.com
Sun Dec 3 12:52:28 PST 2006

Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> After:
>    mplayer: user: 124sec sys:  3secs  real:198
>    Xorg:    user:  34sec sys: 32secs
>
> So unless there is a statistical anomaly here, it seems to have reduced
> the user space cpu time of Xorg by about 30%.
>
> Still it doesn't perform well enough to use except in a pinch because of
> frame drops (about 30%) . I guess the hardware is just not up to the
> task for HD, especially 1080i.
>
> For comparison with my Intel 915-Pentium M (2GHZ) on the same clip
>
>    mplayer: user: 116sec sys:  3secs  real:249
>    Xorg:    user:  2sec sys:   0secs

I think the dropped X cpu usage is about right for the patch, but there
still seems to be some problem. While a p4-m might be borderline fast
enough, and you can't expect X cpu time to be as low as on the i915, x
cpu usage looks quite high (if using dri (dma for xv)). You didn't say
if you tried increasing agp mode, though it shouldn't really make a
difference. Especially x.org system cpu time looks high, what is it
waiting for there.
Dunno though maybe you can't really expect it to be fast enough.

Roland