Xvideo performance on Radeon 7500 vs Intel 915

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sun Dec 3 09:29:57 PST 2006

Roland

I tried out the final patch. Didn't see any bug.

It seems like it might have helped performance a bit. I ran a before and
after on a 4 minute 1080i clip on my Radeon 7500 Penitum 4 (2GHZ)

Before:
    mplayer: user: 125sec sys:  4 secs real:198
    Xorg:    user:  50sec sys: 33secs

After:
    mplayer: user: 124sec sys:  3secs  real:198
    Xorg:    user:  34sec sys: 32secs

So unless there is a statistical anomaly here, it seems to have reduced
the user space cpu time of Xorg by about 30%.

Still it doesn't perform well enough to use except in a pinch because of
frame drops (about 30%) . I guess the hardware is just not up to the
task for HD, especially 1080i.

For comparison with my Intel 915-Pentium M (2GHZ) on the same clip

    mplayer: user: 116sec sys:  3secs  real:249
    Xorg:    user:  2sec sys:   0secs