i810 modesetting branch

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Tue Aug 22 00:51:13 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 09:28 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad X60 with an Intel 845GM chipset, and an external LCD
> monitor.  My ideal world would be that when I plug in the external
> monitor X notices and resizes the desktop to 1600x1050, when I unplug it
> reduces down to the internal display size of 1024x768.  To ease this I
> tried the modesetting branch of i810, but now if I do xrandr -s 0 either
> nothing happens (except for the internal screen blanking briefly) or X
> locks up.
>
> So, I'll start with the simple questions: do I need anything special in
> xorg.conf?  Do I need to list the resolutions I'd like to use in the
> screen declaration, or can I remove that entire block now?  What is the
> expected process for hot-plugging an external LCD?

I've tried again, and this time have X logs and configuration files
(attached).

When I start X without the external display the driver probes the local
TFT correctly and does the right thing.  Running xrandr shows that it
has probed the device:

$ xrandr
 SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
*0   1024 x 768    ( 250mm x 181mm )  *59
 1    832 x 624    ( 250mm x 181mm )   60
 2    800 x 600    ( 250mm x 181mm )   60
Current rotation - normal
Current reflection - none
Rotations possible - normal left inverted right
Reflections possible - none

If I then plug in the external TFT into the VGA socket and run "xrandr
-s 0", X locks for a few seconds, then the external display activates
but is mainly purple, then X crashes dropping me back at GDM.  At this
point I tried going to a console to copy the log files but was hit by
the X->vt bug in i810, so had to type blind.

Any ideas?  As I said, I'd like there to be a single screen on the
machine and when the external display is connected for it to expand in
size to fill it.

Thanks,
Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com