:0.1 screen not found on my dual head ATI

Danny Kurniawan danny.kurniawan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 21:55:48 PDT 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 11:15, Jonathan Adamczewski wrote:

> If you are able to drag windows from one to the other, then there is
> only one display.
>
> With proper Xinerama support (which I think fglrx now has), you may have
> a taskbar that spans only one screen (I think - that's what I recall
> from last time I was running KDE with a Xinerama setup), but if you can
> move windows from screen to screen, there is only one display.
>
> The log you posted does appear to indicate that the server is running
> with Xinerama working :
>
> (II) fglrx(0): Initialized in-driver Xinerama extension
>

> j.

Thanks for your answer, I got a workaround for this, after reading your
e-mail, I tried to add Option "Xinerama" "off" in xorg.conf, and finally I
can tell mplayer to display at my second monitor by adding "-geometry
+1024+0" at the command line, oddly enough, before I added the "Xinerama"
"off" option, mplayer keep showing at my first monitor, which I assume it
doesn't even know if I got huge screen... is it because there is a conflict
between Xorg's Xinerama and in-driver Xinerama extension??

Anyway, I still can't get :0.1 display to work...

As you say, apparently fglrx has internal Xinerama driver, how can I disable
it? I mean, I want to create 2 seperate screen which I can tell X
applications to use display :0.1...

I've googling around and found some articles to do this, and I tried to create
2 seperate "Monitor" section and 2 "Device" section like this:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Screen0 ATI"
	Driver		"ati"
	ChipID		0x5835
	BusID		"1:5:0"
	Option		"DynamicClocks"	"on"
	Screen		0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Screen1 ATI"
	Driver		"ati"
	ChipID		0x5835
	BusID		"1:5:0"
	Option		"DynamicClocks" "on"
	Screen		1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Second Monitor"
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Screen0 ATI"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen1"
	Device		"Screen1 ATI"
	Monitor		"Second Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"DefaultLayout"
	InputDevice	"Keyboard[0]"	"CoreKeyboard"
	InputDevice	"Mouse[1]"	"CorePointer"
	InputDevice	"Mouse[3]"	"SendCoreEvents"
	Screen		"Screen0"
	Screen		"Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
EndSection

What I got is my second monitor is on and I still can't tell xeyes to appear
at :0.1 which I got the same display :0.1 not found error...

Thanks again.

--
Danny Kurniawan <danny.kurniawan at gmail.com>