xgamma vs. cursor shadows

Miles Bader miles.bader at necel.com
Thu Aug 3 20:31:12 PDT 2006

Hi,

I recently started using one of these fancy mouse themese with drop
shadows and the like -- specifically one of the themes from the
"chameleon-cursor-theme" package in debian.

Initially this works great, but if I change the X gamma setting by doing
"xgamma -gamma 0.818" (my display seems to have a gamma of around 1.8,
so using 0.818 makes typical images intended for gamma 2.2 look
correct), while the cursor still looks OK, the drop-shadows have a sort
of soft "halo" around them, mostly when the cursor is over a "medium"
background (not too dark, not too bright).

Googling didn't turn up much, except a hint that the separate cursor
planes often don't have gamma correction; not sure if that's really
related or not.

My hard is:

   Device "Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
   Monitor "NEC LCD1760V"

I'm using the following debian xorg packages:

   xorg                                       1:7.0.22
   xserver-xorg                               1:7.0.22
   xserver-xorg-core                          1:1.0.2-9
   xserver-xorg-input-evdev                   1:1.1.2-1
   xserver-xorg-input-kbd                     1:1.0.1.3-2
   xserver-xorg-input-mouse                   1:1.0.4-3
   xserver-xorg-video-fbdev                   1:0.1.0.5-2
   xserver-xorg-video-i810                    1:1.5.1.0-2

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Miles

--