1440x900 no clock available for mode?

drew at technteach.com drew at technteach.com
Thu Aug 3 17:52:30 PDT 2006

So it sounds like I have 3 choices.

1) Ignore the problem for now, and sooner or later a new driver
will be released, which will solve the problem.

2) Delve into the mysteries of downloading, configuring, and
compiling an appropriate driver.  Poking around it seems like
X11R7.1 is probably the one.  Or would I need a development
version to solve the problem.

3) Delve into the mysteries of writing an xorg.conf file to work
around the bugs (or are they features) of the driver I have.
First sub mystery on this front is finding the right via_mode.h
to study.

Which X11Rx.y distribution should I look in?
The following snippet suggests X11R7.0

  X Window System Version 7.0.0
  Release Date: 21 December 2005
  X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
  Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.9-34.ELsmp i686Red Hat, Inc.
  Current Operating System: Linux drew2.tnt.private 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 #1 Tue Jul 11 22:55:46 EDT 2006 i686
  Build Date: 30 June 2006

While browsing around the internet, it sounds like an FC5 update
for X11R7.1 may be imminent, or maybe it's just a bogus rumor.