opengl under Xgl

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 06:56:26 PDT 2006

On 4/26/06, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:
> For accelerating GLX rendering to redirected windows, pbuffers or FBOs
> are required (-accel glx or -accel glx:pbuffer to enable in Xgl). If
> your card/driver doesn't support that, then you'll get software GL.
> glxinfo should indicate if software GL or native GL is used.
>
> compiz is always accelerated as it's not drawing to a redirected window
> but to the root window.

What do you mean with software or native? The same as indirect or direct?
The same as accelerated or not accelerated?

What do I have to look for in the output of glxinfo?
With my Xgl, glxinfo says:
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

I know the driver I am using (radeon open source) doesn't support
FBO or pbuffers.

--Luca