opengl under Xgl

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 19:15:14 PDT 2006

David Reveman wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 02:38 +0100, Ioannis Nousias wrote:
>
>> I've seen reports from people having good performance with opengl apps
>> (like glxgears) under Xgl and people having low scores, as if no
>> acceleration is active. Unfortunately I'm one of the latter. I've only
>> tested xgl with low spec hardware such as a GeForce 4200 Go, a i855GM
>> and a Radeon 9000Pro. They all exhibit the same behavior. Good (for
>> their capabilities that is) performance for opengl apps under xorg,
>> terrible performance under Xgl.
>>
>> The question is, why is compiz running so well? Am I doing something
>> wrong? I compile most of the stuff myself using the latest versions out
>> there (dri drivers, mesa-dri, drm, xgl, compiz, even the kernel). I'll
>> be happy to provide any relevant info required to track this problem.
>> It's just that I don't know where to start from. So if anyone has a clue
>> / can point me to the right direction, that will be really appreciated.
>>

> For accelerating GLX rendering to redirected windows, pbuffers or FBOs
> are required (-accel glx or -accel glx:pbuffer to enable in Xgl). If
> your card/driver doesn't support that, then you'll get software GL.
> glxinfo should indicate if software GL or native GL is used.
>
> compiz is always accelerated as it's not drawing to a redirected window
> but to the root window.
>
> -David

ah! yes indeed. According to this http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl_Troubleshooting
the open source radeon driver (which I'm using for my 9000pro) does not
support pbuffer or fbo. For my nVidia card, I get normal FPS, but 100%
cpu utilisation with glxgears under Xgl.

though a different subject, after a recent update on xgl+compiz,
occasionally I get artifacts on "tip"windows or  menu windows, which
sometimes cause the server to crash. The artifacts look like a
distortion  or sometime the windows appear almost black, with some
colourful pixels.

and last thing, is there a proper fix for the SDL transparency issue
under Xgl?

regards,
Ioannis