Release process for Xorg 7.1

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Thu Apr 27 14:59:36 PDT 2006

Egbert Eich wrote:
> Kevin E Martin writes:
>  >
>  > For those who might not know, the decision to put all of the old docs
>  > into a single package was made for primarily one reason: There was
>  > discussion last year about converting the docs from the various old
>  > formats to a modern format.  Then, as each doc is converted, it could be
>  > moved out of the docs package and put into a more appropriate package.
>  > I'm not sure if/when that will happen, so if people would like to go
>  > ahead and spread the old format docs out to the appropriate packages now
>  > and then convert them to a modern format later, that's okay by me.  I
>  > just don't want to desire to convert the docs to a modern format to be
>  > lost in the shuffle here.
>
> The doc conversion was a project advocated by JG.
> Unfortunately he had been rather busy lately so he
> he did not follow up on this.
> It would definitely make sense to move the docs
> to the individual packets when the format conversion
> is done.
> However currently there is nothing but a vague desire
> to do so at some point in time.
>
> Maybe there is somebody here who'd be interested in
> taking on this task to make a plan how the conversion
> should be performed,propose this plan and execute it.
>
> - There needs to be a consensus on the format to use.
> - We need to have a consensus what the target formats
>   should be (I assume we need to be able to generate
>   traditional man pages as well as specs in book form.)
> - Tools need to exist to convert to the desired target
>   formats.
> - Tools should exist to make doc writing easy.
[...]
> Maybe we can collect a few opinions here?

For the documentation of the X protocol and protocol extensions, the XCB
project has an open TODO item to integrate documentation into our XML X
protocol descriptions (either within each file or as separate files with
cross-references between the two), and then generate the documentation
from the protocol descriptions.  This would ensure that the
documentation always agrees with the actual layout of requests,
descriptions in the first place, I discovered many cases where the
documentation did not agree with the code.

Such a project, as well as the conversion of the various other
documents, might make a good summer of code project for someone inclined
towards documentation and/or XML.

- Josh Triplett