opengl under Xgl

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 25 18:38:12 PDT 2006

I've seen reports from people having good performance with opengl apps
(like glxgears) under Xgl and people having low scores, as if no
acceleration is active. Unfortunately I'm one of the latter. I've only
tested xgl with low spec hardware such as a GeForce 4200 Go, a i855GM
and a Radeon 9000Pro. They all exhibit the same behavior. Good (for
their capabilities that is) performance for opengl apps under xorg,
terrible performance under Xgl.

The question is, why is compiz running so well? Am I doing something
wrong? I compile most of the stuff myself using the latest versions out
there (dri drivers, mesa-dri, drm, xgl, compiz, even the kernel). I'll
be happy to provide any relevant info required to track this problem.
It's just that I don't know where to start from. So if anyone has a clue
/ can point me to the right direction, that will be really appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Ioannis