[SCM TRANSITION] Re: Proposal: move Randr protocol and library to git

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Tue Apr 18 10:22:50 PDT 2006

Roland Scheidegger writes:
 > I don't really think it's important if everything is moved at once,
 > however I very much agree that it would be painful if some parts moved
 > to OTHER scms. If some parts stay in cvs for now that's not too bad,
 > everyone knows how to use it anyway.

That the number of SCMs starts to proliferate is really my main
concern.
Also what will stay in CVS?
- The 'stale bits': they should not be hard to migrate - and I don't
  expect a big debate over it.
- Heavily maintained bits where the maintainers resist to migrate.
  I certainly don't want to disfranchise anyone. But I feel as a project
  we should listen to their concerns and try to help out.

After all the reason for moving to a new SCM is done to make things
easier for developers, isn't it? So it should be reasonable to expect
that people can be convinced of the benefits.
Much easier than in the case of modularization - one reason this took
so long.

Cheers,
	Egbert.