configure options for XGL and compiz

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Apr 16 05:04:59 PDT 2006

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Ioannis Nousias wrote:
>> There is a great amount of suggested (or even mandatory)  configure
>> option for Xgl, to have a successful build.
>> I suggest the inclusion of an "INSTALL" text file in CVS under
>> xserver xgl-0-0-1 branch or make those the default (if not already
>> done so). Same applies for compiz.
>>
>> I found some suggestions by David Reveman in this link:
>> http://www.qdh.org.uk/wordpress/?p=24
>>
>> which for xgl looks like this:
>> ./autogen.sh --enable-xgl --disable-xorg --disable-xprint
>> --enable-glx --enable-dri --with-mesa-source=/source_folder/mesa
>> --with-release-snap=1 --disable-dmx --disable-xvfb --disable-xnest
>> --enable-xglx --enable-xkb --disable-kdriveserver
>> --prefix=/install_folder/Xgl
>
> When I use these options, the make install fails for me as it tries to
> install headers (e.g. xrandr.h) in / (I run all the build as a normal
> user thankfully otherwise my / would be messy by now!)
>
> I traced this down to the fact that --disable-xorg in configure.ac
> does not define $sdkdir variable. I made a simple patch that defined
> it, but I'm not convinced I did it the correct way. Perhaps someone
> could have a look where --disable-xorg is concerned?? Happy to post my
> patch if requested, but like I say I think it's wrong.
>
>> in the same "letter" David suggests having a build-in Mesa libGL.a
>> (indirect and static) for compiz:
>> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/install_folder/Xgl
>> --with-gl-libs="/source_folder/mesa/lib/libGL.a -pthread -ldrm"
>
> I cannot get this to work. When I compile Mesa with "make
> linux-x86-64-static" it does not compile all the necessary stuff into
> libGL.a e.g. GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap I've only had success with
> "make linux-dri-x86-64" personally.
>
> Col.

I've updated the wiki page with a build sequence that works for me
(based on the above suggestions by David). I admit I didn't notice that
there was an issue with the xgl build, because I install as root :( What
options do you use?

as for the compiz check the wiki page:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXgl
basically you build with make linux-indirect, but you first amend the
config/linux-indirect with the "MKLIB_OPTIONS = -static" compiler
directive. I haven't tried with DRI, though based on this
http://principe.homelinux.net/Xglx.png  I think it is not required for
compiz.

we (users) can continue updating the wiki, based on our experience and
with the help of the developers this should be a good source for those
who wish to build xgl and compiz from source.

regards,
Ioannis