test intel git repo, with modesetting

John Hughes john at Calva.COM
Mon Apr 10 04:53:55 PDT 2006

Eric Anholt wrote:

>[...] For the last couple of months, my job has been to work on
>native modesetting for Intel graphics.
>
>At this point, I have CRT and LVDS working on the i915 laptops I've
>tested and the i945 desktop I have.  It's probably broken on pre-i915,
>but I'll fix that when I can get my hands on the hardware.

I am extremely interested in this as I have a collection of Dell
Optiplex workstations, gx270's (865G based with DVI board in AGP slot)
and gx280s' (915G based with DVI board in PCI express slot).

Up 'till now we've been using 19" CRTs which work ok.  But now everyone
is nagging me to get some nice 21" LCDs.

So I plug 'em in and find to my horror that something in the Dell Bios
stops the LCD's working at above 1024x768 on the gx270's or 1280x1024 on
the gx280's when connected to the funny little DVI boards that come with
the Optiplexes.

So, you look like my saviour.

I cloned your git repository on my birthday, 2006-04-06 and started
playing with it.

I needed a little patch to make things work on my Debian
unstable/experimental system, which I attach, and I get the following
results on one of my gx280's:

1. The VGA interface works.
2. If I start X with just the DVI interface then I get a text mode
screen that says:
"(r) Grantsdale-G PCI accelerated SVGA BIOS ... Build number 3414 ...
2004 ... (C) Intel 2000-2003"
then gets overwritten with random coloured text.

Any clue about what I could try next?

Attached - patch, VGA log, DVI log.

Fun part of DVI log:

(**) I810(0): Device Presence: enabled.
Executing (ax == 0x5f64) BIOS call at i830_driver.c:635
(II) I810(0): Display Presence: CRT: attached: FALSE, encoder: TRUE
(II) I810(0): Display Presence: TV: attached: FALSE, encoder: FALSE
(II) I810(0): Display Presence: DFP (digital flat panel): attached: TRUE, encoder: TRUE
[...]
(==) I810(0): Display Info: enabled.
(II) I810(0): No active displays on Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): No active displays on Pipe B.
(==) I810(0): Display is using Pipe B