glib dependency for the X Server

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Wed Apr 5 11:17:50 PDT 2006

Xavier Bestel wrote:

>> the difference is that you should at least TRY to do the right thing.
>> overcommitting is optional and can be turned off in the kernel
>> trivially. (echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory).
>
> The problem is that nobody uses that on their desktop, unless they are
> pretty aware of linux's internals. So you can pretty much say
> running_on_linux == program_killed_on_OOM.

Embedded linux systems with no baking storage for swap or
even no MMU (uClinux) are likely to be configured like
this.

I worked on two platforms like this and our applications
would fail gracefully in low memory conditions.  The other
deamons such as crond, syslogd and inetd were robust too.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/