screenSaverSuspended needs to move to os/WaitFor.c

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Tue Apr 4 14:29:02 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 05:30, Keith Packard wrote:
> X servers which don't include the screen saver extension will fail to
> link because screenSaverSuspended is not defined. Moving this from the
> extension to WaitFor.c will solve this problem.

Actually I think the problem here is the link order for the binary, since
the code in WaitFor.c that uses this variable should be #ifdef'ed out
when the screensaver extension is disabled. Basically os needs to be
linked in before Xext.

> Essentially, this variable provides a DIX interface for suspending the
> screen saver and should always be included in the OS library when it is
> used there. The Screen Saver extension just uses this interface, it
> doesn't provide an interface back to the X server.

Indeed, this seems like a much cleaner solution, and also means that
the screensaver extension doesn't have to be a built-in extension.

I guess it makes sense to simply put this variable in the DIX globals
with the other screensaver and DPMS variables.

I'll see about getting those changes into CVS shortly.

Regards,
Fredrik