glib dependency for the X Server

mcnichol at austin.ibm.com mcnichol at austin.ibm.com
Tue Apr 4 08:40:17 PDT 2006

> From: Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr>
>
> Le lundi 03 avril 2006 à 14:13 -0500, mcnichol at austin.ibm.com a écrit :
> > Please no GPL/LGPL.
> > Our lawyers will not allow us to ship it with the AIX operating system.
>
> That's strange, because Bull has been porting GNOME to AIX for IBM, and
> AFAIK everything is (L)GPL inside.

Hi Xaviar,

You are partially correct...  We have been working with BULL to provide
GNOME on AIX, and the various packages are licensed under GPL, LGPL, and
other licenses.  We also have ported many other open source packages
to AIX.

What you may not realize is that we don't ship this software as part of AIX.
It goes on it's own seperate CDs.  Seems like a minor technicality, but it's
a big point with the lawyers, and has some important consequences.

Customers may not even order the open source CDs if they don't want.  So having
an Xserver that ships as part of AIX depend on glib2 leaves us very broken.

Though I haven't seen anything from Paul, I suspect that HPUX may have some of
the same concerns as AIX.

Dan