Xorg 7.0 and ATI drivers

Eruart eruart at gorodok.net
Tue Apr 4 07:17:41 PDT 2006

Greetings.

I installed Xorg 7.0 from Debian experimental and got problems with radeon
drivers. I used proprietary drivers with Xorg 6.9 and all was fine, but
with new Xorg it was necessary to uninstall them, so I did it. Then I
tried radeon driver, but it seems that it doesnt work with my ATI Xpress
200, screen looked weird just like when i tried to install debian (as well
as fedora) in graphical mode (because of that i used to install in text
mode). Another one thing, Debian and Fedora installer disc must show a
image when proposing to type boot options, but they don't, just white
rectangle at top half. And now I am using vesa, but all this Xorg 7.0
stuff is for xgl ... so I need 3d driver.
Ok, I found somewhere that ati proprietary driver installer work well with
xorg7. I tried it and it says that I need version <= 6.9 but I can
override it and I did it. But after installation it says that there were
errors. Log:

[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment,
generating kernel module now.
ATI module generator V 2.0
==========================
initializing...
cleaning...
patching 'highmem.h'...
assuming new VMA API since we do have kernel 2.6.x...
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.16-1-686/build
SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.16-1-686'
ln: creating symbolic link `./Makefile.lib.c' to
`../scripts/Makefile.lib.c': File exists
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib.c] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.16-1-686'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult
readme.

//I translated some log text from russian so it can be not exact

So what do I want to know... is there any way to get 3d with my ati card?
Motherboard: ASUS P5RD1-V (ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 for Intel Processors)
Maybe there is a way to install driver with ati installer or already
compiled deb for xorg7...

Another one thing, after installation of xorg7 it doesn't start kdm after
booting. And I used to start Xorg by root and then run startkde by my user
manually. How to recover the thing?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks.
--