glib dependency for the X Server

John Hughes john at Calva.COM
Mon Apr 3 05:53:10 PDT 2006

Ikke wrote:

>>Just started working on a minor patch for this. Although I doubt it'll
>>be accepted... Who knows ;-)
>>

>Attached (sorry for the lag, food etc :-))
>
>Not extensively tested, blablabla. Should I get this into gnome
>bugzilla?
>

>+      /* Keep standard behaviour */
>+      if (G_LIKELY(g_malloc_failure_handler == NULL))
>+        {
>       g_error ("%s: failed to allocate %lu bytes", G_STRLOC, n_bytes);
>+        }
>+      else
>+        {
>+          g_warning("%s: failed to allocate %lu bytes", G_STRLOC, n_bytes);
>+          g_malloc_failure_handler (n_bytes);
>     }

Not very interesting:

1. You give no way of avoiding the warning
2. You give no way of allocating the memory from somewhere else (e.g.
emergency pool, wait & retry...)

Why not just:

+ if (g_malloc_failure_handler)
+       return g_malloc_failure_handler (n_bytes);
    g_error ("%s: failed to allocate %lu bytes", G_STRLOC, n_bytes);