intel chip support

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 10:55:55 PST 2006

On 4/1/06, Donald Harter <harterc1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> >> I have been planning to upgrade my motherboard and looking at boards
> >> using the below chipset.
> >> http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm
> >>
> >> It seems that Intel has provided drivers which are not proprietary yet
> >> they are not included in the latest X.org distributions.   There are
> >> comments on the intel site saying that these are provided for developers
> >> to include in their distributions.  So why isn't it included in the i810
> >> driver?
> >>

> The drivers on intel's web site are just snapshots of the drivers that
> are already in Xorg cvs.
>
> Alex
> >>

> >>Some parts of Intel haven't quite figured out how open source software
> is integrated into distributions. They're trying to make sure everything
> you need is available, but the stuff you see on the Intel web site is
> just a snapshot of what appears in X.org CVS.
>
> In fact, the code is incorporated into X.org CVS before the files are
> placed on the Intel web site, so there's every reason to ignore the
> snapshots.
>

> -- keith.packard at intel.com
> >>>

> Before I posted, I had looked for support for i945 chipset in the
> documentation for xfree86 and x.org.   The chipset was not listed as
> being supported by the i810 driver.  Perhaps the documentation was not
> updated.   I did a diff on the x.org and intel versions of the same

i810 DDX:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-i810/src/

> release and found many differences.  I did a grep on the xfree86-4.5.0

xfree86 is an older (at this point different) code base and AFAIK,
doesn't support as many chips as Xorg.

> source code and did not find some code that was in the intel site.
> Here is just some of what is "missing":
> grep -r 'i945' xfree86intel
> xfree86intel/xc/lib/GL/mesa/drivers/dri/i915/i915_texstate.c:static void
> i945LayoutTextureImages( i915ContextPtr i915,
> xfree86intel/xc/lib/GL/mesa/drivers/dri/i915/i915_texstate.c:
> i945LayoutTextureImages( i915, tObj );
> xfree86intel/xc/extras/drm/shared/drm_pciids.txt:0x8086 0x2772 "Intel i945G"
> xfree86intel/xc/extras/drm/suse93/drm_pciids.txt:0x8086 0x2772 "Intel i945G"
> xfree86intel/xc/extras/drm/suse93/drm_pciids.txt:0x8086 0x27A2 "Intel
> i945GM"
> Maybe I need download a specific branch of the source code and that the
> latest releases do not incorporate support for the i945 chipset?

this is mesa and drm stuff:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/mesa/Mesa/src/mesa/drivers/dri/i915/
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/dri/drm/

there are 3 parts to a DRI enabled Xorg driver.  the DDX (2D, card
setup, Xv, etc.), the Mesa driver (#d driver for your card) and the
drm (arbitrates secure access to the hardware for DMA, etc.).

The code in cvs is the master copy and has everything you need for your chip.

Alex