modular build issues (savage and xkb)

Donnie Berkholz spyderous at gentoo.org
Wed Sep 7 08:38:12 PDT 2005

Georgi Hristov wrote:
> and also xkb configuration fails
> to load, so no keyboard switching, and no VT switching :(

You can try xkbcomp in CVS, there was a change to try /usr/bin/xkbcomp
instead of /usr/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp. Alternately symlink the former to
the latter. Also make sure /var/lib/xkb exists and
/usr/lib/X11/xkb/compiled exists (there are other ways to do this, but
this is the one I use).

You'll want libX11 from CVS too because it fixes VT switching.

> I also wonder if  it is ok to set the destination to something like
> /opt/x11 if my previous install was in /usr/X11R6, as i see that various
> config files and xkb config still look in either /usr/X11R6 or
> /usr/lib/x11 ?

Should be fine as long as you change the prefix in everything. For some
packages you'll also need to pass additional parameters like
--with-xkb-path; check individual configures.

> For example "Xorg - configure" fails as it can't find its
> video drivers, and if i provide /etc/X11/xorg.conf, it works then.

Not sure why this happens, but it's the same here.

> Also
> one other issue - Xorg is not installed with setuid, so I had to do it
> manually, or it won't start.

Right. This needs to be fixed. Got a patch?

> Also the X -> Xorg link was not created.

Same as the last one. Needs a --with-symlink-target=Foo added to
configure.ac or so.

Thanks,
Donnie