modular build issues (savage and xkb)

Georgi Hristov georgi at eontechnologies.bg
Wed Sep 7 05:29:10 PDT 2005

Hi all,

i'v just built the modular xorg as described in the wiki -
first symlink.sh, then
build.sh -s sudo /opt/x11

It builds fine and runs, but with two glitches - on my Savage IX
videocard i don't have XVideo anymore, and also xkb configuration fails
to load, so no keyboard switching, and no VT switching :(
Please tell me if these are problems of my build or this is the way it
works, and if so is there any hope of a fix soon or I just install some
older version...

I also wonder if  it is ok to set the destination to something like
/opt/x11 if my previous install was in /usr/X11R6, as i see that various
config files and xkb config still look in either /usr/X11R6 or
/usr/lib/x11 ? For example "Xorg - configure" fails as it can't find its
video drivers, and if i provide /etc/X11/xorg.conf, it works then. Also
one other issue - Xorg is not installed with setuid, so I had to do it
manually, or it won't start. Also the X -> Xorg link was not created.

regards,
georgi