Kernel scheduling algorithm and X.Org performance

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Fri Sep 2 09:01:44 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 16:46 +0400, Dmitry M. Shatrov wrote:
> В Срд, 31/08/2005 в 10:14 -0700, Eric Anholt пишет:
> > xcompmgr -a (or, to use a different path, xcompmgr with no args) will
> > remove the visible redraw latency.
>
> Yes, this does the job, but it is at the moment terribly slow on my
> Matrox G400 and X.Org 6.8.1 because of unaccelerated Render in mga
> driver as I understand. And I guess there are cards that will never get
> Render acceleration and thus their owners will always have to run X
> Windows with Composite extension disabled.

If you're using plain xcompmgr (no -c, -s, etc.), then all that's being
done through render are untransformed Src composites, which XAA breaks
down into screentoscreen copies, i.e. something accelerated.  However,
XAA memory management sucks, so performance will tend to get worse and
worse as you continue to use the X server.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org