Why care about indirect rendering ?

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Fri Sep 2 01:38:02 PDT 2005

Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi there,
>

>>X uses a network protocol.  While I love the network transparency and
>>wouldn't lose it for anything it doesn't mean you want it when you're
>>local.  In fact you want as little as you reasonably can between the
>>application and the video card.  That's in part why I find this
>>indirect-rendering centered discussion so strange.
>

> This is something I also never really understood. X forces you to go
> through the network protocol even for drawing also if you're local.
> Windows allows to plug-in a network-layer if you need it (however far
> less professional than X).
> Sure, Unix Domain Sockets are highly optimized - but at least parsing
> out all the trafic should be quite expensive? Or am I completly wrong?

If your rendering architecture relies on direct hardware access and
can't handle the higher latency introduced by the client/server
protocol, you push the remote clients into some second class quality level.
This is already what happens with RDP or VNC (even with NX, even though
the loss is less important). This is not X anymore.
--
Matthieu Herrb