Why care about indirect rendering ?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 01:26:09 PDT 2005

Hi there,

> X uses a network protocol.  While I love the network transparency and
> wouldn't lose it for anything it doesn't mean you want it when you're
> local.  In fact you want as little as you reasonably can between the
> application and the video card.  That's in part why I find this
> indirect-rendering centered discussion so strange.

This is something I also never really understood. X forces you to go
through the network protocol even for drawing also if you're local.
Windows allows to plug-in a network-layer if you need it (however far
less professional than X).
Sure, Unix Domain Sockets are highly optimized - but at least parsing
out all the trafic should be quite expensive? Or am I completly wrong?

lg Clemens