Feature request: modular config files

Johan aequitas at planet.nl
Mon Oct 31 14:30:50 PST 2005

> The advantage is the current methode can still be used. Because the
> new style is build up of seperate files included in the main file.
> Settings can easily be changed by renaming a include instead of copy
> pasting (commenting uncommenting) text from templates or manual's.
>
> Also config files for many common devices can be included with the
> default build. Since they don't get used until they are included. This
> way it would also be easier for new users to make ther first xorg config.
>
> A parser would be able to split/combine the files so the full config
> file still excists and can be used as normal. And since every seperate
> config file will be named by the section name combined with the
> indentifier there would be no conflict splitting up the full config to
> segments.
>
> Version support would also be easy because versions can be included in
> the indetifier.

A little correction on my previous post to make it more clear.

The parser would created the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from one of the configs
like /etc/X11/config/default.conf which consist of the include directives.

These configs could also contain normal sections and the xorg.conf could
also contain includes.