Cannot get 75hz on TFT monitor

Erik Ahlner whyz at home.se
Mon Oct 31 06:44:03 PST 2005

Michel Dänzer wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 17:26 +0200, Erik Ahlner wrote:
>

>>I switched to nv driver instead of nvidia just to be certain that it
>>wasn't the drivers fault, but that made no difference. I still got 60hz.
>>
>>BUT:
>>My monitor has 2 inputs,one DVI and one VGA. So does the gfx.
>>I switched to VGA cable, which instantly (without changing any settings
>>at all) gave me 75hz!
>>So, there's something jiffy about DVI.. it works in 75hz in windows, but
>>in Xorg, it just gives me 60.
>>

>The panel probably runs at 60 Hz anyway, so that should be ideal.

No, it does *not* run at 60hz. There's a VERY noticable difference
between the two. Easy way to check:
60hz (DVI) gives me tearing when running the game at maxfps 60 (because
fps rate similar to refresh rate tends to give tearing). I only need to
adjust it a few hz from 60 and it is smooth.
75hz (VGA only atm :(() looks good at maxfps 77, which is the only fps
rate i can use to maintain the physics of the game (yeah, i know it's
stupid). Plus: the On Screen Display menu of the monitor tells me what
the refresh rate is, as I earlier posted: http://whyz.mine.nu/imgp6252.jpg

Anyway, this is not the question whether it's sufficient for me or not,
it's a serious BUG imo. The monitor handles 75hz (According to specs,
which also has been successfully used in Windows via DVI and in Linux
only via VGA), but Xorg refuses to deliver 75hz via DVI!
With no changes whatsoever to xorg.conf, just switching from DVI
output&input to VGA output&input, I get 75Hz.

So, is there ANYONE that has successfully used more than 60hz via DVI
using xorg in this list? Am i the only one that thinks it's weird?

Kind regards,
Erik Ahlner