Xorg 7.0-rc1 and EXA (radeon 9200)

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Oct 25 02:23:17 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 23:32 +0000, morgoth6 at box43.pl wrote:

> > No, GNOME is usually snappy here, running xcompmgr -a.
>
> Also any GTK+ apps are deam slow under KDE for example. Hmmm weird ...

Indeed. BTW, I'm also using 2.12, GTK+ 2.8.6 and Cairo 1.0.2, so it
doesn't seem to be either of these in general, unless we have different
definitions of 'snappy' vs. 'dead slow' maybe... Have you tried
disabling sub-pixel AA in GNOME to see if it makes more of a difference
there than in KDE?

> > Sounds like SW cursor is being used instead of HW cursor. There's a
> > known issue where the radeon driver with EXA sometimes (in particular
> > after a VT switch) drops back from HW cursor to SW cursor, without any
> > sign of it in the log file.
>
> Is there a way to verify which cursor mode is used in a moment ?

Mostly by watching the behaviour of the cursor and its surroundings,
e.g. watch for the cursor flickering when its surroundings are updated,
e.g. when scrolling the window beneath it. Also, when using
direct-rendered OpenGL, the SW cursor will disappear in the 3D window
and only shortly re-appear when you move it.