enabling DDC in the face of broken monitors (was: Re: Intel 915G with Dell 2005FPW TFT no bigger resolution then 1280x1024)

Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:41:18 +0200 diegocalleja at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 02:41:18 PDT 2005

El Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:06:19 +1000,
Daniel Stone <daniel at freedesktop.org> escribió:

> There'll always be a market for phenomenally cheap monitors where DDC
> may or may not work.  It's the same in laptops.  Technically-minded
> people might know to avoid anything with an Elite chipset and to stick
> to Thinkpads or so, but some random person is going to walk into a
> shop and go 'ooh, $500 laptop'.
>
> Daniel, who forced DDC on the distribution he works full-time on a year
> ago, for better or worse

Just for curiosity....

I own a samsung syncmaster 753DFX 17" CRT monitor, connected to a radeon
9200SE card.

In Windows, I can get 800x600 at 100Hz. But with x.org, despite of configuring
x.org properly, I can't get more than 800x600 at 85Hz...

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "SyncMaster"
        HorizSync       30-71
        VertRefresh     50-160
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

And vendor-provided .inf file says:

[sm783df.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"30-71,50-160,+,+"

So I don't really know what's going on and/or how I can make it work to 100 hz
in 800x600 mode and how windows can make it work, it the data is the same.

Writing a parser which extracts the relevant data from windows .inf files could help?