enabling DDC in the face of broken monitors (was: Re: Intel 915G with Dell 2005FPW TFT no bigger resolution then 1280x1024)

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Oct 21 00:50:52 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:06:19PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > And... market forces being what they are, the manufacturers
> > building monitors that "just work" will get that reputation, and
> > be rewarded...  and those that don't... Well, they'll learn or perish.
>
> There'll always be a market for phenomenally cheap monitors where DDC
> may or may not work. It's the same in laptops.  Technically-minded
> people might know to avoid anything with an Elite chipset and to stick
> to Thinkpads or so, but some random person is going to walk into a
> shop and go 'ooh, $500 laptop'.

DDC bugs are also an issue with reputable brands. I found out the hard way
most Iiyama CRT monitors tell their optimal resolution to be 1600x1200x60Hz
regardless of what they actually support.

> Daniel, who forced DDC on the distribution he works full-time on a year
> ago, for better or worse

My pet project is a distribution to build diskless terminals. I had to
create special dhcp options to force Xorg resolution on a
machine-by-machine basis...

--
Francois Tigeot