Using HAL for X Server Config Properties?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Oct 15 02:19:11 PDT 2005

Le vendredi 14 octobre 2005 à 13:46 -0600, Philip Prindeville a écrit :

> Getting the configuration right the first time would mean
> not having to rewrite it later, hopefully (as opposed to just
> changing modes and cycling through a preset list of modes).

Even if you ignore the laptop case where people are plugging projectors
and other external display devices all the time, a good
hotplug/autodetection layer means when one hardware component dies
(which happens to everyone) everything will just work after replacement.

I had this case happen to me recently on a dual boot system, (saved only
the hard drives and disk controller) one system picked up the new
hardware almost transparently another required lots of reconfiguration
(in the end I just scratched it - its reliance on initial xorg-like
configuration was that bad).

Also, a static configuration is totally unadapted to today's systems.
Computers are moving in the HTPC segment for example - when you plug in
any consumer audio/video component on a computer it should "just work"
like it would if it were plugged into another piece of consumer
electronics. Which means dynamic reconfiguration and the last thing you
want in this case is having to rewrite a file and restart software
components to pick up the changes.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot