ATI Radeon Xpress 200 question

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:48:48 PST 2005

On 11/22/05, jstipins at umich.edu <jstipins at umich.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure this is the correct forum for my question.  If there is a
> more appropriate list, please let me know.
>
> I have an AMD64 motherboard with an integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200
> video card.  I realize now (alas) that the specs of this chipset are
> kept secret by ATI, so that only their proprietary drivers are available
> for linux.
>
> Using open-source software is more important to me than having optimal
> video performance, so I would gladly use _any_ open-source driver that
> can run this thing.  The catch is that my display is an HP vs17 flat-panel,
> that displays a warning and then goes to sleep (!) if it receives any
> signal other than 1280x1024 @ 60Hz.
>
> Am I completely screwed here?  Am I forced to use the ATI proprietary
> linux driver?  Or is there some way to convince the available Xorg linux
> drivers to generate the signal I require from the card?
>
> I appreciate any help I can get with this, even a definitive "Yes, you
> are screwed" answer.  Again, if there is a more appropriate forum for my
> question, please let me know.

The Xpess 200 chipsets are RV370 variants and are supported (more or
less) by the radeon driver in xorg cvs.  DRI is untested, but I
suspect it will require more work.  You can either build Xorg from cvs
or grab the nightly binary DRI snapshots.
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download#head-55420c59a1c2e9a70f07a6fa02f0d228ffb87b76

Alex